Monday, November 29, 2010

The Odyssey Book 11 - The Kingdom of the Dead

Part One:
In Book 11, Odysseus describes his journey to the House of Death. During his time in the underworld he encounters an endless list of spirits, including people that he used to be friends with and people that he seems to have never met. The most important person that Odysseus meets, however, is Tiresias. Tiresias tells Odysseus that he will probably be able to complete his journey home if he is able to curb his own (and his crew’s) wild desire and refrain from killing the cattle of Helios. I don’t think Tiresias is able to give Odysseus a for-sure, 100% clear answer because there is no way for Tiresias to know what else Poseidon will do to try to stop Odysseus from reaching home. Also, Tiresias might think that Odysseus isn’t worthy of a speedy return if he is not able to hold himself back from killing the cows. Tiresias also says that Odysseus will die a peaceful death, far from the sea (although, as I talk about later, this is also controversial).
                
               Book 11 also reveals Homer’s society’s views on women. Homer starts his speech about women by saying that “there’s nothing more deadly, bestial than a woman set on works like these” (11.485) and that a man should “never reveal the whole truth” (11.501) to his wife. He also ends his speech very drastically by saying that “the time for trusting women’s gone forever!” (11.518). In a way, though, didn’t Agamemnon have the right to feel this way? Thousands of his comrades had died trying to win one woman, Helen, and all the while his own wife was plotting his downfall. I think he is trying to say something like “look how much trouble the wiles of women have caused!” He says it in a way that sounds sexist, but he has a point. This is interesting, though, because Agamemnon seems to respect Odysseus’ wife Penelope greatly. This made me feel like he was not being sexist for saying those things about his wife; he was just angry at her for doing something horrible, and wasn’t spiting her just because she was a woman. 

GQ - Do you think that Homer saw men as being far superior to women? Does the passage from 11.484 – 11.518 show that Homer saw women as inferior? 

Part Two : 
Literary devices:
The prophecy that Tiresias gives Odysseus uses a lot of literary devices in a very interesting way. First, it uses foreshadowing. He basically gives the reader two possible outcomes and says that one of them is going to happen and the other is not. In this way, I guess it’s not as much foreshadowing as it is strait out telling us. This foreshadowing also brings out the literary device of dramatic irony. Because we know what happens to Odysseus in the end, we know which of the two options that Tiresias mentioned is going to happen. This makes the punishment that Tiresias talks about sound even worse, since we know as we hear about it that Odysseus will have to go through all of those troubles. However, the detail in which Tiresias describes Odysseus’ potential suffering might just be a reflection of the tone of the author, since Odysseus is actually the reader of this story. He was the one who actually experienced all of the hardships that Tiresias says might come about, so he is able to embellish what Tiresias said.  
Epic Machinery:
               The major form of epic machinery that was used in book 11 was Odysseus’ journey to the underworld. As a tool that an author such as Homer would use to write an epic like the Odyssey, a journey to the underworld could be used to represent a lot of things. It could, for instance, represent the time in the epic when the main character has to face all of those who had died before him, and the time when he has to face all of his problems. It is the start of a new beginning, and inspires the hero to keep going. Showing how even the strongest of characters such as Achilles suffer in the underworld leads the visitor to persevere in hopes of staying alive for as long as possible. Entering the underworld is also a test for the hero, forcing them to prove whether or not they are brave enough to face the darkest of trials and show their courage and strength.
Translator’s Notes:
               The translator’s notes are very interesting because they show just how differently some things can be taken. For example, the note about line 11.154 tells us about the line “a gentle, painless death, far from sea.” Since it is legend that Odysseus died “by fishbone,” some have translated this line to mean that he choked to death on a fishbone or that he was poisoned by a fishbone, while others have translated this to mean that he was killed by a fishbone spear. It’s so interesting to me that the language can be taken so radically different, and makes me wonder what else in this story has gone through such change. 

GQ - One of the forms of epic machinery is the use of the number three. In this book, the number three is used when Odysseus sees his mother: “Three times I rushed towards her, desperate to hold her, three times she fluttered through my fingers, sifting away” (11.235-236). What does the number three, and the act of doing things three times, represent?

Part Three:
I would say that the two most important themes that are found in this book are the importance of courage, and the importance of reverence to the dead. Odysseus is revered in this book, even by the greatest people in history such as Achilles, as an extremely courageous man for willingly going to the House of Death. Their reactions made me feel that courage is almost synonymous with power and heroism in their culture. The fact that going to the underworld is a relatively common aspect of Greek literature also shows that reverence to the dead is very important. The dead could give the living advice, and were able to help the hero (such as Odysseus) with their unique point of view.
               The Antlers are back for round two! Like I mention in one of my earlier blog posts, the album Hospice tells an explicit story (in first and second person narrative) of a man meeting a depressed and abusive bone cancer patient in the Sloan Kettering Cancer Ward where he is working, falling in love, and eventually watching her die while he is beside her. Memories, regret and grief recur throughout the album. This song, Shiva, tells about how Silberman confronts his dead loved one by trying to put himself in her shoes. This is similar to Odysseus, because Odysseus forces himself to go to the underworld to ask for help, not matter how horrible of a place it is. Both Silberman and Odysseus gain great insight from their bravery and willingness to face the dead (or what the dead have left behind, since the dead in the Odyssey are only fragments of what they once were, and since Silberan isn’t actually talking to Sylvia).

GQ – Would you be able to face all of the people in your life that have died and that you miss, and would you be able to leave again once you had been back with them? What insight do you think you could gain by communicating with the dead?

14 comments:

  1. I would not be able to face all the people that have died that i miss. That would be something really hard to do because it takes so much strength to get over a death so seeing the person and talking to them and then leaving them would be even more hard. Although leaving them would be hard giving up my life to stay there would be even worse. I would miss all the people who are in my life now so i wouldn't want to stay. The stuff you can learn is everything that you have wanted to know you can ask the person. Once they're dead there is no bringing them back to life to ask of clarify something so just like Odysseus went around asking questions and trying to figure things out i would have done the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. part 1- I think Homer is showing us how inferior the women are in the book The Odyssesy, when you posted, “there’s nothing more deadly, bestial than a woman set on works like these” (11.485) and that a man should “never reveal the whole truth” (11.501) to his wife. He also ends his speech very drastically by saying that “the time for trusting women’s gone forever!” (11.518), i automatically thought about how men only learned to trust other men. this also explains why Athena disguises herself one time.. but i really don't get why men couldn't trust women then?

    part two- when he kept repeating "three times" i think it represents the chances people usually give to other people when they still believe in hope.

    part three- i don't think it would be hard for me to see someone who was special to me that died. i would do anything just to see that person again, and having the chance to do so would be great. the one chance could either make me or break me but knowing if i wanted to risk seeing them again i think it would "make me" i would be able leave with a little bit of happiness. again like i said earlier, it is better to take that chance to see them again rather than always asking myself "what ifs".

    ReplyDelete
  3. GQ1- I do not think that Homer was saying that women were inferior to men by this quote. I believe he is saying that somebody who has the determination and willingness to kill is somebody who is a terrible person and a monster.

    GQ2- One of the forms of epic machinery was the number 3 appearing. I remember a Simpson's episode where Marge's sisters were talking about how good things always came in groups of 3. I think this is Homer leaving his mark on our society still. Another use of the number 3 in a modern story is the children's tale "3 Little Pigs", or "Goldilocks" and the 3 bears.

    GQ3- I do not think I would be able to face everyone that passed away in my life that I miss. It would be very tough for me to know that they are not alive and not be able to go with me out of the Palace of Death, or probably not having the chance to see them again after we saw each other the first time. I think a person could gain a lot of insight into past and future events by talking with the dead, like Odysseus did. He consulted with Tiresias and also his mother. He learned about his future, and to avoid killing the cattle of the sun, and he learned about his father, sleeping with the servants in the winter and sleeping outside on a bed of leaves in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.) I don't think that he's saying flat out that women are inferior to men. I think that this was just Homers way of trying to show the readers a woman's role in society during that time period.

    2.) I'm not sure what the significance of the number three is. The only expression that comes to mind is that bad things, especially deaths come in groups of threes. This could possibly tie into Odysseus's situation because he is talking to his mother who is already dead. It's a stretch but it could be possible.

    3.)I don't think i would be able to face the people that i loved that have passed away. If i were in Odysseus's situation i feel as if i wouldn't be able to leave them again. I would want to stay with them, and maintain the new found connection to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to number 1, I believe its more like CLoebbaka said, its more a commentary on the qualities of the person. Also, a good story about betrayal is always loved, so its not a surprise that the ancient Greeks also loved a good backstabbing. Even though jammmy suports herself with text, I believe that those lines are coming from a murdered man who is angry with his wife.

    With the threepeating of actions, I believe that Homer is showing that the actions are deliberate. Once is possibly a fluke, twice a coincidence, but three times you know it was not an accident.

    At this point, I think I would be perfectly ok with number 3. I don't know many people that have died, and I was not too close with any of them. I would enjoy the chance to reminisce and share stories, but I don't think them leaving would be horribly devastating, but I would still be a little bit sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this passage is trying to prove that women should no longer be seen a superior. Agamemnon says, “the time for trusting women’s gone forever!”(264) I believe this infers that women are no longer sweet and innocent with no power in life. Now they can use and manipulate the men for their own gain and by doing so gain a power of their own. For example Odysseus says, “his (Zeus) trustiest weapon women’s twisted wiles” (263). Odysseus refers to women as weapons. It is important to note this because, weapons are no joke they are dangerous and have a lot of power. With that said I believe Odysseus and Agamemnon believe that women are not inferior but that they have a hidden power on their own. Like it is said in My Big Fat Greek Wedding “the man is the head, but the women is the neck and controls the head.”

    The only thing I get out of the number three is the idea of “the third time is the charm.” Try it once, try it again, and try it a third time. If it doesn’t work all three times there is no use in trying a fourth time. In this scenario though, Odysseus is trying to grab his mother but all three times he fails. I think Homer is trying to reinforce the fact that it is impossible to be physically in touch with those who have passed and traveled to the underworld.

    I don’t think it would be easy to face all my loved ones that have passed, but I know I would want to. I would want to because I would want to see them again even though they are dead. It would be hard though because you could not do anything to help them or it could be the last time you see them.
    Talking to the dead could be beneficial in solving crimes. If there is an unsolved murder mystery, the victim could reveal their murderer or give clues that will help find the murderer. Another thing that could be helpful would be similar to Odysseus’ situation with his mother. He gained knowledge of what he was missing out on at home through talking with his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I do not believe in any way Homer is trying to say that woman are inferior, he is simply stating that there is nothing more deadly then a woman plotting against a man. They are like a mans weakness because he lusts for them but who knows what there true desires really are or what there thinking. I also agree with what CLoebbaka said.
    2.I think the use of 3 in that part of the story is just strongly emphasizing his desire to hold his mother again, but each time hes not able to because she is no longer of the living. So basically the number 3 is a way of showing us how painfull it is that he cant touch his mother but he keeps trying because his love for her is so strong.
    3.I'm not sure, i know it would be incredibaly painfull and hard, but then again it would be nice to see them again. The dead could tell you who killed them or somthing of they were murdered, or maby they could just tell you things they regret doiing so you never make the same mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book 11 clearly shows that that Homer saw men as being far superior to women And the lines the from 11.484 – 11.518 “the time for trusting women’s gone forever!” this shows that Homer saw women as inferior,

    The number three might have been a sacred number. Doing it three times shows that Odysseus really wanted to get his to mother and wants to be with her. This represents the dead and living cant be together.

    Some part of would like to face all the dead people but the other part of me wouldn't. I miss them but they moved on from the living world by facing them it would break the cycle of life. I would be able to leave because i know i don't belong with the dead and i need to be with people who are living. The insight you get is the value of the loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GQ1 - Yes i think that it does show that he thinks that women are inferior because even though Agamemnon has the right to feel that way, i feel as though he only said that he doesn't think of Penelope like that is because Odysseus is standing there talking to him and Agamemnon wants something from him as well, news on his son and as soon as Odysseus says that he doesn't know he does a mini rant again and disappears after listening to Odysseus talk about what has happened to him and his experience so far (the short version). If you were trying to get something from someone, would you insult that person or his family? No, right?

    GQ2- Three is supposed to be a lucky number, there is a legend i believe that states something about magical beings (ghosts, et...) and that if you ask them three times they have to do what you ask them. And think about genies too, why is only three wishes. I think it also has something to do with the 3 stages of life. Young --> Old --> Death.

    GQ3- I think i could be easy but i definitely think that it would be really hard leaving. I would gain a lot of insight into myself i think because that what i would be able to get others opinions and then i could compare the situations that i am/have been in so that I can get the full picture instead of just my perspective, which can be limited and biased compared to someone who would just be looking out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. -In the Introductory notes (titled Gods), I remember reading "a times when men were stronger, braver and more eloquent than they are now, women more beautiful, powerful and intelligent" (Fagles 41). Both were listed with gifted qualities. I think in the passage, it was referring to the actions of women that are strongly judged. I do think that Homer was trying to make distinction between the strengths of men and women.

    -The number itself represents Odysseus's hesitation to greet the dead, especially his mother. I think it symbolizes how much opportunities he is offered and somehow it is his choice of freedom that relates to the number- he makes a decision that could dramatically lead him elsewhere.

    -It would be very difficult to face those that have passed away. It would be haunting but leave me in sorrow. At the same time, I would not be able to leave them, it would give me a reason to stay longer before the ultimate moment. I could stay in touch with my relatives whom I was never able to see and to listen to their stories and receive advices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think that Homer meant it to be sexist against woman, but to show that woman are starting to gain more power. Those were just the words of an angry man, as said by Dan, and there was no intend to show that woman are inferior, but maybe that they are starting to grow and becoming stronger as individuals.

    I think that three is the magic number and that Homer sees it as a magic number two. There have been multiple stories throughout history that tend to use the number three like in The Three Little Pigs, the three bears in Goldilocks and The Three Blind Mice. I think that it's just one of those things where the author thinks that three is the magic number.

    I would be able to face all the people that have died in my life because I think that it would be a great thing to talk to them. I would love to get ask them questions that maybe were unanswered due to there unexpected death. It would be incredibly hard for me to leave them and never see their faces again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe that it would be extremely hard to face all the people that have left you in life. Its usually tough enough to let go of loved ones and friends without having to see them again. Yet seeing them again could also be... Well incredible. Being able to talk about old times and relive your memories. And although it would be tough to leave them again, you would eventually long for people you could actually communicate and interact with as opposed to just a ghost. As far as what one could gain from talking to the dead, you could learn from their mistakes/past experiences and apply it to your own life. Or, as Odysseus does, you could get advice from the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. I feel that Homer was just portraying as best as he could how women were treated so differently during that time period. I do agree with what Jarrett was saying about how there is nothing more dangerous than a woman plotting against a man. Women were just starting to gain more power then.

    3. I feel that it might be interesting to see a bunch of the people that have died in my life. However, it would be incredibly difficult to turn away from them later. I agree with Sam when he says I would then long for them even more after because I would be so happy to see them again. However, it would be really exciting to get advice from them about how to live the rest of my life. Also, I would be curious to learn what being deceased is like and if there is an afterlife. Finally, I would want to hear if my loved ones have any regrets about their experiences and what they accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GQ1- I think that Homer does believe that women are inferior, but i could have guessed that just by knowing what time period he lived iin, i didn't need to read the book. It wasn't until relatively recently that women obtained equal rights in this country, and even with the laws people still do not think that women are equal to men. Back in Homer's time period, men thought that women were emotionally and physically inferior, and this was a scientific fact according to them. In the passage, i think it was saying that if women get more power, it would lead to very bad things, and that men should try to take that power away very quickly.

    GQ2- I thought just the fact that Odysseus was trying to get to his mother so many times was more important than the actaul number of times he tried. I think it shows how much he misses his mother. The fact that he continually tries again and agian to reach her, even though he knows that he is in the underworld and that it is useless, shows how much he misses her. Also, it could not be just that he misses his mother, but that he misses his home and his family in general.

    GQ3- I don't think that i would like to see the people in my life who have died because it would be too depressing for me. To have the opportunity to be with dead loved ones for just a short period of time, then having to leave them agian. It would feel to me like they died all over again because i would never get to see them again (at least until i died). In addition, think the informaiton i obtained from talking to them would not be worth the pain from seeing them then having to leave so suddenly. I just don't think what i would have learned would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete